Have you ever wanted to apply and implement a certain technology into your business without additional management charges and time-consuming installing processes? If so, we have an answer for you – a white label solution.
White labeling (WL) is a business practice where a certain company (the provider) sells its services or products to another enterprise and the latter resells it under its own brand name. The most prominent business benefits of a WL approach are: cost savings, flexibility, an easy and smooth customization process, scalability and more.
We know what we are talking about when it comes to the business and tech benefits of a WL solution. Our company collaborated with one of the biggest producers of auto electronics and spare parts in Europe. This client needed a commercial platform for auto owners and workshops to communicate.
The most demanding problem was to overcome the inadequacy of a monolithic platform to achieve the desired business goals, which were a cost-effective and advanced solution to serve multiple tenants within one platform.
Moreover, workshop holders were not enthusiastic about contributing, despite their desire to have the functionality of an efficient website. In that regard, the final target for the project was a multi-tenancy technical solution able to seamlessly integrate with a client`s website or portal.
Our team managed to create this solution with the help of white labeling. First of all, we focused
on backend – therefore, micro-service architecture was chosen as the most suitable for the project goal. This architecture is designed with the help of Spring Cloud Netflix OSS stack, where Spring Cloud is included in the spring.io family and uses components of Netflix in its environment, providing a client with the technologies for data.
The architecture’s main components are listed below:
• Eureka – service discovery
• Zuul – api gateway, filtering, routing
• Config Server – external configuration
• Feign – declarative service client with automatic service discovery and hystrix & ribbon
• Hystrix – circuit breaker, failure handling
• Ribbon – client-side load balancing
• Turbine – Hystrix metrics dashboard.
Then, the K&C team resolved the problem of cross-tenant requests in the system. The main goal was to avoid mixing the tenants’ sensitive information. This boiled down to the development of an access management service that would use a dedicated identity storage for each tenant. Consequently, we decided to build a single sign-on access control on the top of the OAuth 2.0 framework, which, in turn, was built upon the Forgerock OpenAm for access management and OpenDj as a directory service. The service side security is based on the Spring Security framework.
As a result, tenants are able to use their own directory services. In addition, due to the fact that all services keep the appropriate domain models separated by the tenant identifier, it is potentially possible to extract tenant specific data or completely remove it.
The next task was to make the overall mechanism lightweight, as a wide range of functionality was necessary. For example, a crucial point of the project was to create a process with which different flexibly managed widgets could be integrated into the website of a customer, while at the same time saving a theme, color schemes, fonts, etc.
Consequently, the following technologies were applied:
• Angular JS 1.6 (this user interface framework helped us design widgets for a separate
• Our own npm-repository and npm-modules (it should be mentioned that each functionality element is a module which a certain feature is tied to);
• Twitter Bootstrap (with the help of this framework, different styles can be applied,
so that the wishes of any client regarding the appearance and behavior of widgets
can be easily accommodated);
• Angular Materials (this UI framework offers special components to enhance the customer experience);
• Webpack (it integrates packages and sets correlations among different modules).
To summarize, using the advantages of a white label solution, K&C was able to bring the following business values to the client:
• A technological business decision that saves time
• A way to reduce extra costs
• A solution developed with a focus on the client`s needs
• A scalable and reliable solution, because of the micro-service architecture and single-user entry point to the infrastructure.
We are ready to bring same values and effectiveness to your company. K&C – construct your software the way you’d like to see it!